Jazz Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

February 19, 2010

Portland Jazz Festival Itinerary



I love doing this each year. Planning the few events in advance to partake in. And then I get all anxious about it. Here's my list of events to attend. Related Post.
1. Rogue Ales Public House is hosting a handful of
local acts this year. I can't remember if they've done
this in the past, but I know they are a good sponsor and support the fest with their Jazz Guy Ale each year -- this year showcasing PDX Jazz's Artistic Director, Bill Royston. I'll be catching Devin Phillips there on Thursday, 2/25 at 9pm. I had seen him almost three years ago at the Bite Festival. He was playing with a vocalist (which I don't remember her name -- and that was the second time I had seen her). Needless to say, Phillips was exciting, the vocalist not so much.

2. Next up, I'm going to run home after work, get changed, grab one of my Impulse Pharoah Sanders LPs (in hopes of a handshake and signature) and bask in the wonderful conversation going on at the Art Bar. That's Saturday, 2/27 at 6:30pm.

3. And Closing out the Fest on Sunday, 2/28 at 3pm, I will be there to see Mr. Sanders perform with his quartet. Which features Justin Faulkner on drums, Hans Glawischnig on bass, and William Henderson on piano. As far as I know, tickets are still available, but this is the last leg here.

Check out the full PDX Jazz Fest Schedule on their website. The festival kicks off this Sunday the 21st.

No comments: